Wednesday, May 1, 2013

What's Up Wednesday



I am jumping on the What's Up Wednesday bandwagon à la two bloggers I follow, Jaime Morrow and Erin Funk. All aboard!

What I’m Reading: I just revisited Freeze Tag by Caroline B. Cooney, one of the YA books that is nearest and dearest to my heart. I remember vividly my first encounter with this book: staying up wayyy past my bedtime, despite my mother’s protestations, wondering if and how the gang would take Lannie down. A lot of readers don’t like the ending, but I love it. The whole freezing aspect of the story is really just a way to represent hatred and malice, how they can take over once they touch you. As the novel progresses, the characters around Lannie start to grow colder, to the point where they aren’t much better than she is. The ending can really only go one of two ways, and I was satisfied (and touched) by the resolution Cooney offers.


What I’m Writing: My first YA novel! I have already written two unpublished rhyming children’s books, but now I’m fulfilling my lifelong dream of writing a chapter book. I have decided to name my main character Arianna Caldwell. And since I couldn’t use Rowan Caldwell, I decided to change his last name to McAllister. I am going to strike the second love interest for now. I have decided on the names and traits of a few supporting characters as well. My characters and plot are all mapped out and ready for action. I hope to have Chapter One finished by Monday. Time to start writing!

What Else I’ve Been Up To: Trying to address my Vitamin D deficiency by tanning. Working out-lots of cardio, a few weights-at the local rec center. Watching playoff hockey (GO HAWKS!).

What Inspires Me Right Now: My co-teachers. They are both avid readers and have been so instrumental in helping me to develop my characters and plot. I think they just as excited about this book as I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment